Since 1987, more than 350 research projects have been initiated at the Research Forest. As forest managers, we seek and provide opportunities for researchers to implement projects at our secure site. We welcome researchers from throughout the University of British Columbia, other universities and colleges, federal and provincial government ministries, the forest industry, outside research institutions, and consultants requiring an outdoor laboratory.
- No-charge assistance with project site selection
- Free access to all management history data, spatial information, and very detailed ecosystem distribution maps
- Ensuring compliance with relevant legislation
- Ensuring project site security, and maintenance of the on-line Research Project Database
- Low-cost accommodation ($20/person/night) at the ready-to-use UBC cabin next to the Gavin Lake Forest Education Society Camp
- Cost-recovery assistance such as: sample and data collection, preparing operational plans, and supervision
How to Establish a Research Project
There are few limitations to the types of projects that we will host on the forest, however, research may not be classified and must pass a screening process for compliance with ethical, environmental, and safety standards (see Researcher Use Policy).
All projects are described on the fully searchable on-line University Research Forests Database located at http://www.rpd.forestry.ubc.ca/. Researchers interested in establishing a project can apply by following “Instructions” at that site. The AFRF Research Coordinator can provide you with a “researcher login”, with which you can access the database to submit a new project.
Situated on beautiful Gavin Lake, our cabin feature three bedrooms with 2 beds each, a full bathroom, laundry facilities, and fully equipped kitchen. The cabin is serviced with running water, electricity as well as satellite internet. The cabin is 80 km (one hour’s drive) from Williams Lake. Cabin users need to bring their own bedding, towel, and food. Tap water is potable.
Researchers can have shared use of the cabin at the cost-recovery rate of only $25/person/night.